Importance of online theory based exam
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) every year conducts examination and assessments of the students in various forms.
- They have many online courses as well as associated with courses that are being offered in the colleges and universities. There are many online courses and certificates awarded by QQI and also assessment is taken online .
- The online courses and exams by QQI enables the examiner to scale up their evaluation process by minimising the cost of labor and saving time. Such an assessment also provides better security and privacy.
- This online exam helps the asessor to judge the performance of the candidates, their ability to recall and application of theory and understanding of concepts.
Assessment technique of students by examiners
- In order to demonstrate that one has reached the standards of knowledge, skill and competence the learner has to complete assessments. There are various tools devised by examiner to assess the learner’s abilities and skills. (Ex. Project, assignments, exams)
- Examination provides a means of assessing a learner’s ability to recall and apply knowledge, skills and understanding within a set period under specified conditions.
- Examination may be conducted in four patterns with different structure of questions . The four types of assessment under an examination are :-
1. Practical exam
2. Interview style
3. Aural testing
4. Theory based exam
- Theory based examinations comprises of range of question type such as –
- Short answer questions that requires a response of limited length and can take many forms. Specific words or phrases are used in response.
- Structured questions are divided into a number of parts. It requires the learner to demonstrate more in depth known and understanding of a topic. It seeks evidence of cognitive skills such as ability to discuss, compare, analyse, evaluate or translate or solve an issue.
- Essay type questions focuses upon on one particular area of knowledge and seek evidence of cognitive skills.
- MCQs used to test factual knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, problem solving and evaluations. These are not open ended questions so it cannot assess communication skills of a person. This also does not show ability to organise or express information.
4 courses that offers an online theory based exami ation by QQI
- Nursing Theory and Practice (QQI Level 5)
It is an online distance learning course supported with fully qualified tutors and accredited by QQI.
QQI credits in Nursing theory and practice which introduces a person to nursing Level 5.
The assessor devised an online theory based examination that assesses the candidate’s ability to recall and apply knowledge and theories in accordance to his understanding. It includes responses, range of questions, short answer and structured. The medium could be oral or wriiten.
The assessment also includes skill demonstration. It includes measurement of temperatures, recording of pulse, blood pressure and respiration recording and also fluid balance.
- Economics (QQI Level 5)
This subject includes concepts, theories, principles and economic policies. There are two types of assessment (1) Assignments (2) Theory exam (40%).
The type of questions asked are :- microeconomics in context of candidates vocational area eg. demand and supply, market structure concept and theories, domestic and international economies, fiscal and monetary policy, international trade practices.
- Car Driving Instruction Theory Level 6
The theory based online examination is set and administered through the Road Safety Authority. It comprises of 100% assessment criteria. This is a MCQ based exam that tests the candidate’s knowledge of driving legislation and regulations. It tests his driving skills and knowledge of procedures.
The exam has 5 parts that tests knowledge in different areas –
- Driver Testing Procedures and Documentation
- Road Safety Precepts and Practices
- Basic mechanics and maintenance of vehicles
- Category specific
- Business Law (QQI Level 6)
The assessment under this course has two procedures- (1) Assignments (60%) ,(2)theory (40%).
The internal assessor has devised an online theory based exam that assesses candidates abilities to recall and apply theory and understanding via lectures. It has self directed study and homework style exercises. The selection of questions in exam is based upon case note questions and critical analysis of a legislative enactment.
Quality content by our experts for QQI students
The above written sample discusses the structure of questions, types of assessment and various QQI courses providing facility of theory based online exam.
This sample might help the QQI level 5 and 6 students in understanding the pattern of online exams and types of questions asked in them. It may also help you to complete assignments on QQI courses and exams.