|University||University College Dublin (UCD)|
Describe the role of nature and nurture in human development. Essential: to be included in the assignment.
1 definition of both nature and nurture/explanation of the terms
2. Brief historical perspective (eg John Locke’s “tabula rasa” and Darwin’s “Origin of the species” etc.)
3. A clear description of the contribution of each to human development.
4. The comparison made between the two influences. The answer must focus on the role of environment, social influences, and other influences on upbringing and heredity/genetics and the interplay between the two.
5. Refer to the nature-nurture debate.
6. Refer to a general consensus in psychological research that environment is a significant contributing factor (though the degree to which is considered influential varies amongst theorists)
7. Primarily reference from Atkinson and Hilgard’s introduction to psychology,
8. Make reference to Bee and Boyd “the developing child” 2007.