Part One: Compose a 1700 word essay detailing the practices emergent writing and Phonological awareness. Use the questions below as a guide to your essay. Ensure that your essay makes reference to theory and research. (1700 words, 60 marks)
- With reference to relevant literature and theory, describe in detail the practices you have chosen.
- Critically evaluate what makes your chosen practices effective for early years children.
- How does these practices enhance oral language and vocabulary among early years children?
- How do the practices align with the four themes of Aistear?
- How might this practice incorporate learners from various cultures?
- How might one involve parents/families when teaching this practice?
- What might be some challenges to implementing these practices?
Part two: Using the template provided below, describe in detail a learning experience that you could use with early years children. You may choose to incorporate multiple practices into your learning experience.
Learning experiences should include an element of at least two of the following:
- Oral Language
- Vocabulary development
- Emergent reading
- Emergent writing
(800 words total regardless of how many learning experiences you create, 30 marks)
Part three: Reflect on the Early Literacies module content. What areas were of particular interest to you (oral language & vocabulary development)? What elements do you feel were of most benefit to your own future practice (visual literacy, word identification strategies & language experience materials)? Is there an area of learning from the content that you may like to research further (phonological awareness)?
(500 words, 10 marks)