Reflective Essay Sample on Diabetes Disease
The following reflective writing is based on diabetes disease which has become very common these days. It is the personal account of experience with my grandmother who was suffering from diabetes last year and passed away as a result of it.
While taking care of daily routine and checkups of my grandmother I learned the nature of this disease and its adverse effects on a person’s lifestyle. With the help of this reflective writing, I shall share my personal account of a learning experience about diabetes issue.
Diabetes is a metabolic disease which causes the blood sugar level to rise. The insulin hormone in our body helps in moving the sugar from the blood to the cells for storing energy. But a person who is suffering from diabetes does not produce enough insulin or cannot effectively make use of it. There are different types of diabetes with different symptoms and treatment.
Symptoms of diabetes as noticed by me during the care of my grandmother
Some of the common symptoms for diabetes which were noticed by me while i was taking care of her during her treatment. She lost a considerable amount of body weight, increase in thirst and hunger, frequent visits to the washroom for urination, soreness in the skin, no healing to the injury, itchy skin and infection.
Such types of diabetes are a combination of genes and lifestyle of a person. Heavyweight makes the cells more resistant to the effects of insulin on blood sugar.
Since we have a family history of diabetes running in the blood it is very easy to get this disease from our fathers and forefathers and on the top of that, she was suffering from high blood pressure levels.
Irrespective of regular clinical intervention and medical checkup she didn’t listen to the instructions given by the doctors which made her diabetes much complicated with time.
She started getting depressed, skin issues started emerging and eventually lost her memory. As a result, her blood sugar levels got sky-high which leads to the damage of nerve called diabetic neuropathy.
This condition caused her severe pain and sensitivity in the foot along with ulcers, infection and pain in the joints.
On seeing her health status my family members got her nursing carers at home and regular check-up and monitoring of sugar level were done. She was under strict supervision under a medical team.
Steps were taken by me to help her with complications of diabetes
- I and my family members tried our best to make a proper meal plan for my grandmother with the help of a community dietician. It helped her to make healthy eating choices and appropriate portions of the meal are served.
Her diet included low-fat food, fruits, vegetables along with oily fish twice a week. We also tried to regularise some of the physical exercises for her to maintain a healthy weight.
- I tried to keep close monitoring of her cholesterol and blood sugar level with the help of the monitoring device. Gave her the doctor prescribed medication on time along with reduced-fat diet.
- I brought a fluoride toothpaste for my grandmother so that she can brush her teeth twice a day as diabetes leads to infection and bleeding in the gum. She was taken twice every year for a dental exam.
- In a diabetic patient, the blood flow gets restricted and it damages the nerves in the feet as a result it causes loss of sensation in the feet. Me and the carer we both arranged daily washing of her feet in the lukewarm water to avoid any blisters, soreness, swelling and infection in her feet.
- The doctor prescribed a medicine called Aspirin which reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. It was supposed to be given along with some therapies under strict medical supervision. We have consulted the eye doctors, foot doctor, dentist, diabetes doctor, mental health counsellor and nurses.
- I started learning about diabetes more and took online classes for it to learn about the disease and often checked any information with the healthcare professionals in the hospital. We also made my grandmother join a support group for diabetes so that management of this disease gets easy.
Things I have learned from my personal experience of handling diabetic patient
When the body ceases to produce insulin or cannot make use of it then diabetic pills and insulin shots are ejected to the body in the form of medicines which can lower the blood sugar levels in a person.
I learned about some of the medicines that are used for the treatment of a diabetic patient and they are:-
- Damage Frozen
I learned the proper use of insulin needle and monitoring device for testing the blood sugar level. There are also other tests like the Haemoglobin A1C test to monitor the sugar level.
I conclude from my learning that a healthy lifestyle is a key to longer life span which is also free from diseases. A regular healthy diet, exercise, keeping the stress levels in check and regular health checkups are must for everyone to avoid any disease. If any such disease remains untreated it can become life-threatening.
Reflective essay writing is no more a problem for the Irish students!
The above sample is a reflection on the diabetic patient and his lifestyle along with challenges associated with it.
Healthcare QQI Level 5, Careskills and Care of the Older Person QQI Level 5, Wellbeing QQI Level 5, Neurology QQI, Nursing Studies QQI Level 5, Nutrition Course QQI students can read this reflective writing on diabetes to gain knowledge on such healthcare topics.
We have assignments on our registered Irish website of Ireland assignment help which can also be read along with this essay. These assignments are on Self-tracking of health affecting health behaviour, Government policy on health and fitness, Nutrition Exercise etc.
Writing a personal reflective journal and essays is no more a problem. As the Irish students can hire an expert writer for writing reflective essays for them.
Hire any healthcare assignment writer of our assignment writing company for writing plagiarism-free assignments and essays at a very cheap price.
- Nursing Profession Code Ethics Importance Essay Sample
- HPV immunization module Ireland Essay Sample
- National Standards Infection Prevention Community Services Essay Sample
- Flu Vaccination Essay Sample
- National Hand Hygiene Ireland Essay Sample
- National Cancer Screening Programmes Ireland Essay Sample
- Chronic Conditions Management Ireland Essay Sample
- National Wound Management Guidelines Essay Sample
- Hypertensive Patients Care Essay Sample
- Management Infectious Disease Childcare Settings Essay Sample
- EHR Improve Quality Safety Patient’s Care
- Stroke Patients Reflective Essay
- Diabates Reflective Essay
- AED Use Guidelines Essay Sample
- Grossman Model Health Demand