Harm Principle in Respect to Covid 19
The harm principle makes the individuals accountable for causing harm to other individuals. So in order to not cause harm one needs to limit their actions.
The risky behavior of an individual in the society could put the complete society’s safety at stake. A restricted behavior has become the call of the hour in the global pandemic outbreak of Covid 19.
- It is considered that in a civilized society an individual needs to have a ‘No Harm’ approach towards his other fellow beings.
- For instance -pollution of private property, creating noise pollution, sedition, etc is considered to be wrong of an individual towards the society collectively. It is against the basic social ethics and conduct.
- In this writing, we will cover the Harm principle with respect to the covid 19 outbreak by individuals and society in general.
- The Fundamental Duties mentioned in most of the Constitution of the world focuses on the basic duties of an individual in society. So that there is no infringement of anyone else’s moral and legal rights.
Harm Principles Followed by Health Care Workers
We all are aware of the duties provided by the health care providers, health care administrators , doctors, and nursing staff during this pandemic. It is a very challenging job in this department, especially during such stressful times. There are basic ethics that needs to be followed by Health Care administrators for patients’ safety and care. The basic work ethics followed by health care providers are:-
- Autonomy – Right of the patient to retain control of his body. Health care workers can advise and guide but must not force or coerce upon the patient to make choices as it is a violation of work ethics. The personal values and beliefs of the patient are to be respected and valued.
- Beneficence – The treatment and procedures should be meant for patients’ benefit. They must maintain and develop a highly skilled and knowledgeable staff so that the individual needs of the patient could be catered to separately. Staff should be experienced and trained in practice in skills so that patient life is not put into risk.
- Non-Maleficence (to do no harm) – This is the end goal of practitioners’ decisions. The medical providers must consider their decisions consciously as it could harm a patient’s health. Medical decisions must not harm individuals and society in general.
- Justice – There must be fairness and ‘just’ in decisions in the form of equal distribution of resources. And treatment to the medical practitioners to uphold applicable laws and legislation.
A case study showing work ethics of health care providers
A patient who has an ovarian cyst if that remains untreated may require surgery so that it does not affect the rest of the organs. It can cause kidney failure in some cases if the cyst is allowed to grow or remains untreated. The patient is scared of needles and does not want surgery. In this scenario, the doctor and the other staff cannot force her to make choices even if it is in her interest. Forcing a patient to make choices about his or her body is against the work ethics of a doctor and health care workers. So, in order to treat her, the doctor must try out a different method to protect her kidneys and do the needful for further medication or treatment of her.
The ethical duty of health care providers during the Covid 19 outbreak
The degree of harm to health care providers includes serious morbidity and deaths. The work ethics and obligations of health providers are:-
- Health care providers can provide greater care than the general public and have a greater obligation to care.
- They have chosen their profession freely so now they are abided by the rules and regulations of their work culture.
- They are available at the time of the emergency of the Covid 19 pandemic.
The ‘No Harm Principle ‘ to be followed by the individual health care providers
- The ethical duty to care and understand is the first duty that remains forever even when there is no exposure to life-threatening risk or harm.
- Health care providers who is providing services to the high-risk category of covid 19 must take precautionary measures. If no strategy is available to effectively mitigate harm then the reasonable step is not to provide that particular act or care. As it would put the rest of the other noncovid patients also into danger.
- There should be no force, harm, or coercive action towards the patient to make choices or take decisions regarding their health even if those choices are meant to be in his or her interest.
- The health care providers face harm and in absence of a PPE kit, they must consider their usual duty to provide care. It would be reasonable to see any service that includes risk beyond this point as voluntary.
‘No Harm Principle ‘ to be followed by individuals against community spread
- For public safety, the right to protect himself from harm or threat social distancing is a must in public spaces especially.
- Wearing of masks ( when coughing and sneezing) to be worn outside the house to prevent community spread.
- Washing of hands, using sanitizers, and maintaining hygiene to prevent any viruses to effect himself and society.
- Following the implemented governmental rules and regulations for pandemic so that risk of spread could be mitigated.
- Creating public awareness through social media, websites, and different online portals regarding the factual information of the spread of covid.
- Transparency through these online sites must be maintained. So that people could ask any relevant questions in relation to the same. There could be an individual contribution to information.
No harm principle to be followed by individuals. different communities, governmental organizations, health care administrators, doctors, hospitals, and institutions. When collectively people work together and cooperate for community health that is when relatively a small section of society gets affected.
Professional Essay Writers for completing Essay Write-ups
Our expert writers could help you to complete the essays and assignments before the deadline in your college. Quick assistance for QQI & Fetac Students.
The nursing students and students writing research papers on this topic could avail of our services. With a large pool of nursing assignment experts, we can ensure you do your research paper.
Only with a small amount being paid you can get access to our experts for writing college assignments.
- Children and Families Act, 2014
- Harm Principle in Respect to Covid 19
- Manual Handling Risk Assessment Assignment
- FETAC Level 5 Health and Safety at work Assignment Sample
- National and International Social policy impact on Child well-being Assignment Sample
- Factors Impacting on Children’s Health and well-being to include Family Structure, Community, Culture, Education Essay
- Child Protection Guidelines Ireland
- Promotion of Healthy and Safe Indoor and Outdoor Environments for Children Essay Sample
- Children’s Health Safety and Well-being Assignment Sample
- Legislation guidelines relating to the care & well-being of children Research paper Sample
- Promote Children’s Health and Wellbeing Assignment Example
- Sample on 4 Factors Affecting Health and Well-Being
- Health Promotion Nutrition and Exercise Essay