Job Description of Playworker in School Age Childcare Setting Essay Sample
This essay sample shall highlight the job description of playworker working in the after school-age childcare environment or setting.
Playworkers are also known as creche, play assistant,s or play carers in a childcare setting. They are solely responsible for planning and organizing any play activities. They also help the children in participating or engaging in play and leisure activities.
Playcarers take care of children after school hours especially in the evening hours and during the school holidays and leaves. Their work is to make the play area comfortable and to closely supervise their activities in the setting.
The job description of a play assistant in a SAC setting
The job description of a play assistant or of any other post may include its job role or work, pay scale, working conditions, and educational qualifications required for the job.
Job role / Work of a play assistant
- A play assistant or a play carer has to help the children grow socially and emotionally secured resulting in the holistic development of the children to their full potential.
- He has to develop play activities for the young children from 3 to 5 years of age and after school-age children up to 16 years of age.
- Their work is to also prepare healthy meals and snacks for children.
- Taking the children to outings, day trips to nature parks, heritage locations and buildings, museums, and other natural locations so that they could learn through their personal experience.
- Dropping off and picking up children from their school.
- Keeping the parents updated about the whereabouts, progress, and behavior of the child.
- Supervising children’s behavior so that they do not involve risky behavior and ensuring safe playing equipment.
Payscale of a play assistant
The pay scale or rates vary depending on the conditions of work, job demand, nature of the job, and the organization or company that a person works in.
The starting salary of a play assistant ranges from £8.50 and £11.0 per hour while a senior assistant or staff is paid £13.00 per hour or even more.
Working conditions of a playing career
- The work of a playworker in a school-age childcare setting often centers in the indoor premises or spaces and even sometimes outdoors.
- The childcare work setting for such carer can be in the playbus, youth clubs, community center, playgrounds, parks, and summer camps.
- The work timing usually ranges from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the evening. Evening hours are mostly busy usually after school hours and during school holidays.
- School breakfast clubs are from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 am. and after school clubs are from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Qualifications for playworker in the early years
- Level 2 Diploma for Children’s Care, Learning and Development (Wales and Northern Ireland) (QCF)
- Level 3 Diploma for Children’s Care, Learning and Development (Wales and Northern Ireland)(QCF)
- Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Children’s Care, Learning, and Development (Management).
Higher Qualifications for the playworker in early years
- Foundation Degree in Early Years
- Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies
- BTEC HNC and BTEC HND
- BA Honors Degree in Early Childhood Studies.
Qualifications acceptable for the playworkers in Northern Ireland
- Level 2 Award and Certificate in Playwork (QCF) and Level 2 Diploma in Playwork (NVQ) (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Induction to Playwork (QCF), Level 3 Certificate in Playwork (QCF), and Level 3 Diploma in Playwork (NVQ) (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in Transition to Playwork (Early Years)
- Level 4 Award and Certificate in Playwork (QCF)
- Level 5 Diploma in Playwork (NVQ) (QCF).
Principles of playwork in a SAC environment
The various principles of playwork are based on the play opportunities and environment for the children. Some of the following principles are:-
- Young children and people or even toddlers have the basic biological instinct to play with other living beings and toys. Playing is a biological, social, psychological necessity of a person for his healthy growth and development.
- Playworker helps in creating or making playing space for the children to play.
- Playing is a free will or freely chosen activity or process by young children who are personally directed and is a general instinct in young people.
- The behavior and response of a playworker towards the children depend upon personal thoughts, play process knowledge, and self-reflection practice.
- Playworker also acts as an intervener to extend the time of play which helps in the holistic development and welfare of the children.
Get easy access to academic paper writing service!
The above essay mentions the job description of a playworker or plays career in a school-age childcare setting and playwork principles.
Childcare QQI Level 5, Early Childhood Care Education QQI Level 5, Supervision in Early Childhood Care QQI Level 6, School Age Childcare QQI Level 5, and School Age Childcare Training Course (5N1781) QQI Level 5 students can specifically read this sample to get knowledge on childcare topics.
We have school-age childcare assignments on Elements of effective school-age childcare program (including National Quality Guidelines) and the role and responsibilities of after school childcare assistants.
These assignments can be read by childcare students for reference purposes. If you are still confused about writing childcare assignments then hire a local childcare essay writer.
We have the best-paid childcare writers in the country who provide the best report and assignment writing services to Irish students.
- 5N4465 After School Support Skills QQI Level 5 Assignment Ireland
- 5N1384 Working with Young People FETAC Level 5 Assignment Sample
- Children First Training Ireland Essay Sample
- Foster Care Regulations Ireland Essay Sample
- National Healthy Childhood Nurture Programmes Essay Sample
- Residential Care Ireland Essay Sample
- Paediatric Early Warning Score Chart Essay Sample
- Paediatric Early Warning System Essay Sample Ireland
- Restorative Justice v. Retributive Justice
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Training Essay Sample Ireland
- Job Description Playworker SAC Environment
- Role Responsibilities After School Childcare Staff Assistant
- Challenges School Working Mixed Age Groups Essay Sample
- Effective School Age Childcare Programme Elements
- Equality and Diversity in Childcare Essay Sample