Training Foster Parents in Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Essay Sample
This essay sample shall highlight the goals of the Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) and the implementation of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy within Foster Care.
The foster parents do not get sufficient training to fulfill the needs and demands of children who have emotional, physical, and behavioral disorders.
Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) is a clinical intervention developed for treating children of 2-7 years of age. It is an effective combination of play therapy and behavioral therapy for young children and foster parents.
It deals with the issues of mental health disorders, emotional stress, language issues, and disabilities of the children by also helping foster parents to improve their attitudes and behaviors towards their children.
PCIT is a scientific research-based interaction therapy for preventing any form of mental, physical abuse of children.
Goals of the Parent-Child Interaction Therapy
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) is used for training the parents or carers from using any abusive language and for conducting any bad behavior in front of the child.
Parents learn the skill of effective interaction with children in their language and help them communicate by reflecting upon their thoughts. It also helps them to enhance their vocabulary skills.
Parents become more attentive towards the children and help them to nurture good behavior and conduct.
- This therapy will help in creating a strong family relationship of a child with his parent which builds trust and loyalty between them. It improves family dynamics by practicing new behaviors and communication techniques.
It helps in improving communication skills, increasing confidence, reducing anger issues by improving the interactive behavior of parent and child.
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) effects are maintained and can be seen even after 1-6 years post-treatment which reduces the troubled behavior of the child in a childhood setting significantly.
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) has been seen to be very effective in the case of autism spectrum disorder and trauma by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTST) ensuring the overall welfare of a child.
Implementation of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy within the Foster Care
The Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) focuses on the young minds of the children and their foster carers or guardians or parents.
The foster parents or their parents have the greatest influence on the child’s behavior and psychology. Child’s first learning starts from their homes under the guidance and supervision of foster parents and carers.
The first learning of any child at home helps in developing and shaping their own personality with values.
Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) includes a wide range of parenting interventions to build their parenting skills that include skill-building activities, live coaching and person-centered or individualized treatment plans.
This parent-child interaction therapy includes all the children and their foster caregivers and parents in the treatment.
It helps foster parents and carers in developing and mastering parenting skills through live parent coaching during parent-child interactions.
In a master based intervention, parent-child interaction therapy follows a two-stage model.
Child-Directed Interaction (CDI)
The therapist gives important instruction to the foster parent to be followed during the parent-child interactions to promote effective good parenting skills.
Child Directed Interaction helps the children to take direction and acknowledge the authority of the foster parent and to be attentive towards them. This also helps in building a positive attitude and bond between the parent and the child.
CDI includes the play therapy techniques and social learning skills through which a parent can follow the activities of the child while giving him care, affection and attention.
The therapist monitors the activities of the child by combining play therapy with the coaching sessions along with instruction play to help parents master Child-Directed Interaction Skills (CDI).
Parent-Directed Interaction (PDI)
After the successful completion of the first phase of the master based intervention, the second phase of treatment is that of Parent-Directed Interaction (PDI).
The therapist helps the foster parents to develop the skills of child management, development and discipline by using some clinical techniques and coaching.
Parent Directed Interaction (PDI) includes social learning principles where parents improve the behaviour of the child through coercion.
Do not get upset with your approaching deadline!
The above sample is written on the Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) in the Foster Care and training of foster parents through this therapy.
Child Psychology QQI Level 5, Applied Psychology QQI Level 5, Early Childhood Care and Education QQI Level 5, Careskills QQI Level 5, Psychology of People QQI Level 5, Psychology QQI students can read this sample specifically to gain professional knowledge on child psychology, support and therapy.
We have parent and child relationship-based assignments on Parent-Child Relationship, Working in partnership with carers and parents, Child safeguarding measures and Guardianship of Infants Act, 1964.
These assignments can be read in reference to this essay to deepen the knowledge on such topics.
If you are incapable to write on the child psychology, parent and child relationship, supervision, care and wellbeing in a childcare setting. You may not get bothered and hire an expert to help you write such essays.
The dissertation writers of Ireland assignment help can provide you with quick assistance and paper writing services. The expert writers shall write your thesis and plagiarism-free college assignments before the deadline in your college.
- 5N1834 Community Addiction Studies QQI Level 5 Assignment Sample
- 5N1706 Challenging Behaviour QQI Level 5 Assignment Sample
- 5N3634 Psychology of People Fetac Level 5 Assignment Sample Ireland
- 5N0754 Psychology QQI Level 5 Assignment Sample Ireland
- Social Vocational Integration QQI Level 6 Assignment Sample
- Psychotherapy Ethical Dilemma Case Study
- Relationship Mentoring Essay Sample
- Attention Essay Sample
- Cognitive Psychology Essay Sample
- HM Clive Wearing Neuropsychological Case Studies Ireland
- Cognitive Kindness Essay Sample
- Developing Emotional Intelligence Classroom Essay Sample
- John Dewy David Kolb’s Learning Theory Essay Sample
- Intermittent Reinforcement Theory
- Extinction Psychology Theory