Flu Vaccination in Ireland Essay Sample
The following essay sample work shall highlight the meaning of flu or influenza, people who can get vaccinated for flu, working of the flu vaccination, seasonal influenza vaccination program, and side effects of the flu shots.
Flu is a highly contagious disease that can be spread through the respiratory system of a person. In this, the virus enters from the throat and nose of a person and can easily reach the lungs.
It can cause mild to serious illness or even death in some cases. Some of the common symptoms of flu are coughing, feverish, sore throat, headaches, vomiting, and diarrhea. It is spread mostly by sneezing, coughing, or talking. One can even get flu by touching any surface which is infected by a virus.
The best possible way to be protected against any flu for any individual or healthcare workers is the flu vaccination. Such a vaccine must only be administered every season as there are changes in the virus every year. Flu vaccines have viruses that are already killed and it is given to a person to kill the living viruses in his body.
Who all should get Vaccinated for Influenza?
There are certain people who are at much higher risk to flu-like the healthcare workers. Flu vaccines can be given for free in Ireland if one is 65 years or above, pregnant, child of 2 to 17 years, an adult with a long-term serious health condition.
People with long-term serious health issues can get easily free flu vaccine shots. They may suffer from either of these diseases mentioned below:-
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Chronic kidney disease.
- Heart disease.
- Living in the nursing home.
- Neurological disease.
- Chronic respiratory disease like COPD, fibrosis, asthma, etc.
- Chronic liver disease.
- Living with down syndrome.
How does a Flu Vaccine work?
The flu vaccine helps in strengthening the immune system of a person by producing antibodies against the infection. When the flu vaccine is being administered into the body of a person who is infected by the virus it restricts the disease.
It starts working after two weeks and after every year a flu vaccine shot needs to be given to protect the body. It restricts the flu viruses completely and partially.
It reduces almost 40-60% risk of infection in the body. It reduces the severity of illness, greater health complications from influenza, hospitalization due to the flu, reduces the admission of patients into the critical care unit.
Flu vaccines are given to millions of women all over the world and the reaction is mild. There is no mercury or other metals used in the influenza vaccine but only small amounts of gelatin are used for the children. Gelatin is used as a stabilizer.
Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Programme 2020/2021
National Immunization Committee has updated their Immunization Guidelines for Ireland. Some of the following key changes are:-
- Live attenuated influenza vaccine is being recommended for all children from 2 to 18 years of age.
- Children of 0-9 years are supposed to be given two doses of LAIV after every four weeks.
- Healthy children shall receive a single dose of LAIV.
- LAIV must be given intranasally.
- Updated contraindications for the LAIV. It includes post cochlear implant until the risk of CSF leak is resolved and it needs to be consulted with a relevant specialist.
Side Effects of Flu Shots
There are certainly mild and severe side effects of flu shots in the body of children, adults, or toddlers.
- The most common side effect is the reaction at the site of injection. The injected area is mostly left with soreness, redness, and mild swelling which creates discomfort for one to two days after the shot.
- Severe headaches and stiffness in the muscles are also common phenomena after getting shots. Some medicines like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be used to reduce the after-effects of the shots. Such medication must only be taken if recommended by the doctor.
- Fainting or dizziness may be very much experienced after a flu shot for the next two to three days. In such cases, health carers are very helpful to combat such issues.
- There shall also be a high fever in the body of a person almost 101 degrees Fahrenheit. In case of fever, only a doctor should be called for the treatment.
- Only a few people experience a rare Guillain – Barre syndrome which is a rare neurological issue that can cause serious illness and paralysis. A patient with a past medical history of this disease can only get this disease again in the future. Doctors can help in such cases.
Stop being irresponsible and shift the burden of writing on our healthcare writers!
The above-written essay sample is a detailed summary of the flu or influenza vaccination in Ireland.
Care Skills QQI Level 5, Careskills and Care of the Older Person QQI Level 5, Healthcare QQI Level 5, Child Health and Wellbeing QQI Level 5, Care Support QQI Level 5, Social Care QQI Level 5 students can specifically read this sample to gain knowledge on writing health care essays and college assignments.
We have many related healthcare assignments on this topic. Some of them are on Covid 19 impact on Ireland, Career opportunities for healthcare assistants, Child Health and well-being, Quality and healthcare management, Promote Children’s Health and well-being.
Our essay writing helpers can write care skills assignments and healthcare essays at the most suitable price. Ireland assignment help websites have the best-paid assignment writing and editing services.
- Nursing Profession Code Ethics Importance Essay Sample
- HPV immunization module Ireland Essay Sample
- National Standards Infection Prevention Community Services Essay Sample
- Flu Vaccination Essay Sample
- National Hand Hygiene Ireland Essay Sample
- National Cancer Screening Programmes Ireland Essay Sample
- Chronic Conditions Management Ireland Essay Sample
- National Wound Management Guidelines Essay Sample
- Hypertensive Patients Care Essay Sample
- Management Infectious Disease Childcare Settings Essay Sample
- EHR Improve Quality Safety Patient’s Care
- Stroke Patients Reflective Essay
- Diabates Reflective Essay
- AED Use Guidelines Essay Sample
- Grossman Model Health Demand