Implications of Muscular Dystrophy Essay Sample
In the following essay sample, we shall discuss the topic of muscular dystrophy and its implications. It is a group of diseases that can cause weakness and muscle loss over a period of time. Such muscle loss occurs due to a lack of a protein called dystrophin which can cause difficulty in walking and sitting and maintaining posture etc.
When mutation genes interfere with the production of the proteins it can cause this ailment in muscles. There is no proper cure for this condition but only the therapies for managing the symptoms of this disease. In this essay sample writing, we shall discuss various symptoms of different types of muscular dystrophy, causes of it, diagnosis, and treatment of the muscular dystrophy.
Symptoms of Different Types of Muscular Dystrophy
There are almost more than thirty different types of muscular dystrophy with varied symptoms and diagnosis and treatment which are used for it. This shall cover congenital, OPMD, becker muscular dystrophy, Duchenne, distal, and myotonic muscular dystrophy.
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a medical condition that is much common amongst young boys and does not usually develop in young girls. The life expectancy of such a child is only up to his late teens and twenties and they need the wheelchair to move around from a very young age. Some of the main symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy are:-
- Difficulty in walking, getting up, sitting, and posture.
- Loss of reflexes in the muscles.
- Breathing and swallowing difficulty.
- Weakness in the heart and lungs.
- Thinning of the bone.
Congenital Muscular Dystrophy
The condition of congenital muscular dystrophy arises between birth and up to the age of two. In this condition, the child has weak motor skills control and weak muscle functions.
The symptoms of congenital muscular dystrophy are:-
- Weakness in the muscles.
- Speech and intellectual disability.
- Loss of vision or vision blurred.
- Issues in the respiratory system.
- Inability to sit and stand from a place.
- Deformities in the foot and loss of motor control.
Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy
Myotonic muscular dystrophy is also known as Steinert’s disease. In this medical condition, muscles cannot relax after contractions. This muscular dystrophy type can affect the heart, thyroid, eyes, central nervous system, adrenal glands, facial muscles, and gastrointestinal system. This can cause permanent impotency in men and infertility in females with irregular periods.
Symptoms of Myotonic muscular dystrophy are:-
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Poor visionary power.
- Loss of weight.
- Difficulty in the neck movements and drop of face muscles.
- Increase in sweating.
Distal Muscular Dystrophy
Distal muscular dystrophy can cause the muscles of the calves, forearms, feet, and hands to get affected. It can even affect the muscles in the heart and respiratory system. It causes a loss in motor skills and difficulty in walking in both males and females between the age of 40 to 60.
Oculopharyngeal Muscular Dystrophy
Oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy is a condition in which it causes weakness in the neck, face, and shoulder muscles. This condition can occur in both men and women in their 40s and 50s. The symptoms of this condition are:-
- Change in the voice.
- Problems in vision.
- Heart problems.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Difficulty in walking.
Becker Muscular Dystrophy
Becker’s muscular dystrophy is very similar to the condition of Duchenne muscular dystrophy with less severity. It can affect the boys more between the age of 11 and 25 in comparison to the girls. It causes weakness in the muscles. Most of these people live up to middle age and do not require any wheelchair until the mid-thirties.
Some of the symptoms of Becker muscular dystrophy are:-
- Frequent falls.
- Cramps in the muscles.
- Trouble in walking.
- Trouble in getting up from a place and moving around.
Causes of the Muscular Dystrophy
There are certain genes that are responsible for making the protein that can protect the muscle fibers and condition of the muscular dystrophy occurs only when these genes are defective. Every type of muscular dystrophy is caused due to genetic mutation and such mutation is inherited mostly from the parents or family. The condition of muscular dystrophy is seen in both the sexes male and female of all ages and races. Only the Duchenne and Becker dystrophy is seen mostly in young boys. People with such conditions usually pass on the genes of muscular dystrophy to their own children.
Diagnosis of the Muscular Dystrophy
Many tests are done to be able to diagnose muscular dystrophy in a person. The doctors can easily diagnose this condition with the help of –
- Blood test for the enzymes which are released by the damaged muscles.
- Performing an electromyography test on the muscles.
- Conducting a muscle biopsy for testing the samples of muscles.
- Testing of the blood for genetic markers to diagnose muscular dystrophy.
Treatments of the Muscular Dystrophy
There is no permanent cure or treatment for the muscular dystrophy condition but there are some therapies for treating this medical condition rather it’s symptoms to restrict the disease from progressing into further stages. Some of the treatments of muscular dystrophy are:-
- Medical provision for heart illness or problems.
- Corticosteroid drugs can be used for strengthening the muscles and protecting it from deterioration.
- Performing surgery for the eye cataract, scoliosis, and cardiac issues.
- Ventilation for respiratory muscle issues.
- Surgery for the shortness of the muscles.
- Providing an occupational therapy service.
Hurry Up! Get Child and Healthcare Writers For Your College Assignments At Reasonable Prices!
The above-written essay sample is based on the implications of muscular dystrophy and various aspects related to it.
Healthcare QQI Level 5, Child Health and Wellbeing QQI Level 5, Child Development QQI Level 5, Childcare QQI Level 5, Careskills QQI Level 5, Nursing Practice QQI Level 5, Occupational Therapy Assistant QQI Level 5 Irish students can read this above-written essay sample to gain knowledge in writing childcare and healthcare essays and assignments.
We have healthcare assignment helper, health inequalities and social determinants of health essay sample, child development assignment help, learner record assignments on our official Irish website of Ireland assignment help which can be referred to by the Irish college students for help in writing college assignments.
We provide essay help to Irish college students. The Ireland assignment help has the paid expert healthcare writers who can write online essays, provide help in online exams and complete an online paper for you at a cheap price.
- Care of Blind Person QQI Level 5 Assignment
- Regenerative Endodontics Essay Sample
- Pain Management Sickle Cell Disease Essay Sample
- DT291 Manufacture Medicinal Products Assignment Sample
- Muscular Dystrophy Implications Essay Sample
- 5N3781 Speech and Language Therapy Theory QQI Level 5 Assignment Example
- 5N1749 Empowering the Individual QQI Level 5 Assignment
- Telehealth Occupational Therapists Assessment Sample
- Rhegmatogenous Retinal Displacement Essay Sample
- Physiotherapy ICU Essay Sample
- SCAD Pregnancy Essay Sample
- National Stroke Programme Ireland Essay Sample
- Nursing Profession Code Ethics Importance Essay Sample
- HPV immunization module Ireland Essay Sample
- National Standards Infection Prevention Community Services Essay Sample