Care of Older Person with Alzheimer Disease Essay Sample
The following essay sample shall highlight the discussion on the condition of Alzheimer, symptoms of Alzheimer disease, prevention of this condition by an older person, and treatment of Alzheimer in the old people.
Alzheimer is a disease that destroys the brain cells, memory, and cognitive skills of a person gradually as the disease progress. This disease is the main cause of Dementia condition which can be seen commonly in the older group of above 60 years.
It is a progressive neurological disorder that causes brain cells to shrink and get damaged. It initially has symptoms of memory loss, forgetting recent events or conversations, and difficulty in performing daily routine tasks.
There are medications that help in improving the symptoms of the disease by reducing the risk of dementia and cognitive decline. Most Alzheimer disease causes cases of dementia and is most common in older adults.
People with Alzheimer require intensive care and attention as the disease progresses. Caregivers must get professional help for the person for complete assistance in the daily work, walking, and in other essential activities.
Symptoms of Alzheimer
- The most common symptoms of Alzheimer is are a change in memory and retention of newly learned information. This can cause very serious memory loss, change in the brain structure, and confusion.
- Such a person has an issue in learning as part of the brain which is responsible for learning gets severely affected.
- There is mood disorientation, drastic change in the behaviour, speaking, walking, and swallowing difficulty.
- Such a person tends to repeat his words and sentences, has difficulty in identifying time and objects, forgets the names of places and family members, and gets lost in familiar locations.
- They cannot multitask and have difficulty learning concepts related to numbers, concentrating, and thinking. They cannot perform calculations and have difficulty dealing with finance.
- People suffering from Alzheimer have difficulty performing simple daily tasks of washing, dressing, cleaning, etc.
How to Care for the Older Adults with Alzheimer
To reduce the risk of Alzheimer and Dementia in older adults or to help the older patients with symptoms of Alzheimer to gain good physical, mental health, and wellbeing.
They need to be encouraged in certain practices in their daily life. Some of them are:-
- They must be encouraged to read more books, newspapers, blogs, journals, and articles regularly as it exercises the mind and improves the functioning of the brain.
- Mediterranean diet can also be given to older people to reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer. This diet has fish, fruits, legumes, and vegetables. Such a balanced diet is rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids which improve the heart health and cognitive skills of a person.
- One must avoid smoking, drinking, and any other form of substance abuse that not only causes depression and anxiety but also causes blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol & risk of diabetes.
- As a person ages, he must get more physically active by getting indulged in aerobic and cardio exercises which not only take care of his heart but also reduces the symptoms of mental illness and depression. A moderate 150 mins of exercise must be done every week.
- An old person with a risk of dementia must religiously get the natural therapies, practice mindfulness mediation, and take care of mental health and memory skills.
- An adult requires 7 to 8 hours of sleep to make the cognitive mind functional and helps in dealing with frustrations, confusion, and emotional tension in a person.
Treatment of Alzheimer in Old People
The most common disease among old people is Alzheimer’s which cannot be completely cured but its symptoms can be managed with professional help.
There is generally no medication available for the treatment of Alzheimer while there are some medicines to treat the associated condition of stroke, cholesterol, blood pressure, and diabetes.
Some of the medicines for the treatment of Alzheimer patients are:-
These medicines are used for the purpose of preventing an enzyme from breaking a substance called acetylcholine which is present in the brain and helps in keeping the nerve cells active.
Donepezil is a medicine that can be used in case of moderate and severe Alzheimer condition. Rivastigmine and Galantamine are some medicines that are used for the mild condition of this disease.
These medicines can be used in mixed dementia, Parkinson’s disease dementia, and in vascular dementia as well.
This medicine is used when the person is intolerant to other medicines. It is used in case of mild and moderate cases of Lewy bodies dementia, Alzheimer and mixed dementia. It blocks the excessive flow of glutamate in the brain.
It has side effects for a temporary phase and challenging behaviour associated with this disease can be improved by antipsychotic medicines like risperidone or haloperidol and antidepressants for anxiety.
There are also therapies such as cognitive stimulation therapy (CST), cognitive rehabilitation, and cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) which can be used for treating the symptoms of Alzheimer disease.
Stop wasting your energy! Hire an online writer for plagiarism-free writing!
The above sample discusses the condition of Alzheimer in older people and care of them with the help of treatment.
Care of the Older Person QQI Level 5, Healthcare Support QQI Level 5, Careskills and Care of the Older Person QQI Level 5, Mental Health Course QQI Level 6 and Care Assistant QQI Level 5 students can read this essay to get a better knowledge and understanding of writing older care essay samples.
We have assignments related to this essay sample on our website. Some of them are on Care of Older Person with Cerebral Vascular Accident, Care of Older Person with Arthritis, Parkinson’s chronic disease for older care, National Dementia Strategy in Ireland, Death and dying in late adulthood, Antipsychotic medications, Alzheimer disease etc.
If you are facing difficulty in writing assignments then hire a professional online essay writer for writing essays for you.
We have the best writers in town who provide the best assistance and writing services to the Irish students. These expert writers also provide online dissertation and thesis writing along with editing services.
- Dementia People Advance Care Planning Barriers Facilitators Essay Sample Ireland
- Older Person Quality Care Services Recommendation Essay Sample
- Physical Care Needs Older Person Essay Sample
- Alzheimer Disease Older Person Care
- Cerebral Vascular Accident Older Person Care Essay Sample
- Arthritis Older Person Care Essay Sample
- Meals on wheels Ireland Essay Sample
- Statutory Agencies for Elderly in Ireland
- Older Person Feeding and Drinking Assistance Essay Sample
- Death and Dying in Late Adulthood Essay Sample
- Parkinson’s chronic disease for older care Assignment Sample
- Doll Therapy Impact on Elderly People Essay
- Aging process Essay Sample
- Intellectual needs of elderly Assignment Sample
- Consensus on the extent of Older Abuse – Assignment Sample