Doll Therapy Impact on Elderly People Essay
In health care terminology, the importance of treating elders with respect and care is inevitable. Moreover, in the Care skills QQI course in Ireland, different therapies are instructed. Mostly, the students are asked to write care skills assignments on this topic i. e. Doll therapy and its advantages and disadvantages.
The therapies implied on patients, stress on healing them inside out. One such therapy is Doll Therapy. Thus, in this article, we shall study the Doll Therapy Impact on Elderly People.
The world of medicine and health care is on a progressive edge. Now and then, new therapies, technologies are being introduced. The major concern is to provide good treatment to the patients. Now, the people who are suffering from mental disorders like Alzheimer’s, Dementia is mostly of age greater than 60 years. Their look after includes humongous care, love, concern, sympathy, affection. Healthcare workers need to understand their psychology and work with them in an empathetic manner.
What is Doll Therapy?
Doll therapy involves introducing the elderly patients to dolls. It is believed and proven that patients suffering from Alzheimer’s, Dementia can recover using this therapy. It really poses a great impact on the mental state of elderly people. They feel more attached to dolls as they go back into the past when they had small kids. Therefore, they believe that dolls can become their companions.
Moreover, elder people require care more than medicines. Having a stuffed toy say, a doll in their hands makes them feel comforted. They try talking and playing with the dolls. As a result, they seem to be happier.
How to Introduce Dolls to Dementia Patients?
Generally, Doll therapy is used for curing dementia patients. Because in this disorder, patients tend to forget their past, their identity. They suffer from sleeplessness. They give up on food and other important day to day activities.
Now, introducing dolls to patients might be a challenging task. The nurses or health care workers should maintain their cool and not get offended by patients’ reactions. Usually, a certain situational setup can be done to do so. But, the patient’s response can either be joyous or uninterested or something weird also. In that case, health care workers should try to be subtle. Now, giving the doll a name would be a good choice. Lastly, the doll should not be forcibly launched.
Doll therapy Advantages and Disadvantages:
Although, this therapy is a success in most cases. Yet, there are certain cons also. The advantages of doll therapy include:
- Patients become happier
- They feel a kind of consolation.
- In many cases, patients start recovering faster.
- This treatment is better than giving harsh medicines
- Their mood becomes better
- They try playing with dolls and turn out to be more active
- Eating habits improve as they start taking food.
Despite all the positivities related to this therapy, some people feel that doll therapy is inappropriate. They believe that:
- The concept of introducing dolls to dementia patients is absurd
- They feel that it is a kind of mockery.
- Some children feel hesitant to meet their parents who are undergoing this therapy.
- They also find that this treatment is not a dignified one.
Apart from all the alleged believes about this treatment, the improvements are on a higher side. Thus, people should try changing their, mentality. Because, for some patients, this therapy can help them get back their original, normal life.
Importance of The Topic in Health Care and Care Skills in Ireland
For the students, who are pursuing the Care skills courses in Ireland, assignments are given on these topics. Also, the aspirants must understand the role of compassionate care in the treatment of elderly persons. Similarly, exploring the psychological dimensions and grasping them is a staple in the field of psychology and sociology. In fact, some students face difficulties in completing their homework and assignments. Thus, they can hire Ireland essay writers for essay writing. Ireland’s assignment help provides expert writing services. The cost of the services is also very pocket friendly.
- Older Person Quality Care Services Recommendation
- physical Care Needs Older Person
- Alzheimer Disease Older Person Care
- Cerebral Vascular Accident Older Person Care
- Arthritis Older Person Care
- Meals on wheels Ireland Essay Sample
- Statutory Agencies Elderly People Ireland
- Older Person Feeding and Drinking Assistance
- death and dying in late adulthood
- Parkinson’s chronic disease for older care Assignment Sample
- Doll Therapy Impact on Elderly People Essay
- Aging process Essay Sample
- Intellectual needs of elderly Assignment Sample
- Consensus on the extent of Older Abuse – Assignment Sample
- Respect to Older People Free Essay Example